Important Notice: Document Upload Requirement
In order for your Permit to Acquire application to be processed, you must provide:
- A valid form of identification - Government issued photo ID (e.g. IA Drivers License / State ID). The address on your application must match the address on your identification.
Please have the required documentation ready to upload to the application. You can scan or take pictures of your documentation. The ID must be in color. You can upload the following formats: JPEG, PNG, PDF, TIFF, BMP. Maximum file size is 5MB.
Important Your permit application will not be processed and issued if this information is not provided. You can upload these documents when submitting your application.
Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used. This online application is for residents of Polk County, Iowa only.
Please note the following information:
- Permits to Acquire are submitted to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
- The application fees are listed in the requirements section below.
- All communication regarding the status of your application, including the approval of your application, will be sent via the email address provided on the application.
- The Permit to Acquire is valid for five years from the date of issue.
- Permit to Acquire applications may be completed online 24 / 7 and will be processed during normal business hours.
- A computer kiosk is available should you wish to apply in person to the Sheriff's Headquarters at, 5995 NE 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50313 (Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM).
- Click the "Let's get Started" button to apply for a permit.
Please note that this website has been certifed to work using the following browsers: IE 9 or higher, Firefox, Safari or Chrome.
Let's Get Started